I have always liked to bake and especially enjoy making my own puff pastry. Puff pastry isn’t traditionally vegan (in fact it’s meant to have an exorbitant amount of butter in it). However, it actually translates quite well to a vegan recipe because it just require the substitution of vegan butter.
The “puff” reaction comes from the layers of melting fat producing steam, which causes a rapid rise during baking. This isn’t dependent on the fat being butter, so the same results are produced with vegan puff pastry!
The recipe and technique are both much simpler than many people would have you believe, so if you’re interested in making homemade puff pastry don’t worry about the difficulty!
Vegan Puff Pastry
Servings: varied (depends on what you’re making!)
Prep. Time: 1 hour + 30 min
2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 cup water
1 cup (2 sticks) vegan butter
1. Let butter soften until it is able to be shaped. Place between two pieces of parchment paper and pound with a rolling pin until it is a flat square about 1/2 inch thick. Place in fridge while preparing dough.
2. In a stand mixer or medium bowl, combine flour and salt. Then add water and stir with a spoon until it begins to come together. Finish by kneading with your hands a few times (until completely incorporated).
3. Roll dough into a long rectangle, large enough to seal in the butter block. Take butter block from fridge and seal into the dough.
4. Roll out dough, with butter encased, until about 1/2 inch thick rectangle. Fold lengthwise into thirds. Repeat the rolling and folding once more, then wrap and refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, roll and fold dough two more times. Chill for 30 more minutes.
6. Roll and fold dough two last times. There should be a total of 6 “turns” (times rolling and folding) total.
7. If using within the next 24 hours, refrigerate. Otherwise, puff pastry easily keeps wrapped well and frozen for a month.
Hopefully this explanation made sense! I actually made a video here that shows the process, so if this explanation is confusing that may help.
If anyone tries this and has any questions, feel free to ask 🙂